Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Turbo kit for the 3.8?

17K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Tufast 
#1 ·
Is any company pursuing this? I don't know how the motor is built, but displacement sure helps with torque and spool... just wondering if it's being looked at.

#2 ·
Motor is built well, with oil injectiors on the underside of the pistons, it has a ladder frame 4 bolt main setup, & the internals seem to be strongeer that the 2.0t. Rhys Millen is currently running 9psi of boost producing nearly 500whp & nearly 600 ft/lbs of torque on stock engine & internals.

There are several companies working towards this, but it will be slower than the movement of the 4cyl. But, there are already KDM GenCoupes running superchargers & turbochargers. I think AGP may be working on something over here already.

GIve it a little time.

#18 ·
Rhys Millen is currently running 9psi of boost producing nearly 500whp & nearly 600 ft/lbs of torque on stock engine & internals.
I dont know that much about his car or anything but in this video he states its been bored over to a 4.0 and Im guessing they didnt use some kind of stock oversized pistons.
[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Rhys-Millen-Development_690203.htm]Rhys Millen: Development of his Hyundai Genesis - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]
I could be wrong though? Or maybe we are talking about dif cars. Either way I think we will see alot more aftermarket for these cars in the future.

#4 ·
I'm not looking for exact #'s and won't quote you on it, just curiousity at this point, but what kind of price could we expect on one of these superchargers? And what accomponying mods would be required, besides the obvious tune? If you don't want to speculate, I understand.

#7 ·
There are Paxton and Procharger kits for the SRT-8 for under $5k, although a few companies sell kids in the $7-8k range too.

$5k isn't bad, but it depends on how strong the stock engine is. $5k to make 500HP is fantastic, if Rhys can get 500+ on the stock motor that's awesome!

#10 ·
BMW parts cost more than chrysler

For that kinda dough I would hope you'd get at least 100whp, no less.
the above price I quoted would give me gain of about 150whp

I thought Rhys was running a forged stroker with his turbo?
Nope, just factory Hyundai 3.8L RS motor for now while he is developing internals for that engine. Should have the internals ready in the next couple of drift events.

#11 ·
The SC kits for the SRT-8 have no Chrysler parts in them, nor development or support, they're just aftermarket companies making them. They do have more expensive kits from some vendors, but a kit from a reputable vendor like Paxton should fall into the $5k or so range, I imagine we'll see them once tuning is widely available.

Rhys is turbo'd right?

#13 ·
I'm not saying the parts cost any more to make or are any better, just that merchandisers tend to charge more on avg for higher end cars just because they think they can get it out of someone that paid twice as much for their vehicle than someone driving a domestic. :aargh:

#15 · (Edited)
The RedBull RMR car is about 490whp & 570 ft/lb torque, but correct me if I'm wrong sabbasaun or Lord Calvert.
The drift car has an outsourced 5sp M/T from HKS I believe, once again correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about the rear drive axles.

3.8 V6 ZF 6HP19 ... 6 Speed Automatic Transmission Gear Ratios:
1st ... 4.171:1
2nd ... 2.340:1
3rd ... 1.520:1
4th ... 1.140:1
5th ... 0.870:1
6th ... 0.690:1
Rev... 3.400:1
Final ... 3.727:1

Complete specs & info on above ...
GenesisForums.org - 4.BK 6HP19 AT

2.0T I4 A5SR1 ... 5-Speed Automatic Transmission Gear Ratios:
1st ... 3.827:1
2nd ... 2.368:1
3rd ... 1.520:1
4th ... 1.000:1
5th ... 0.834:1
Rev... 2.613:1
Final ... 4.181:1

Complete specs & info on above ...
GenesisForums.org - 3.BK A5SR AT

3.8 V6 M6VR2 ... 6 Speed Manual Transmission Gear Ratios:
1st ... 3.848:1
2nd ... 2.317:1
3rd ... 1.623:1
4th ... 1.233:1
5th ... 1.000:1
6th ... 0.794:1
Rev... 3.895:1
Final ... 3.538:1

2.0T M6VR1 ... 6 Speed Manual Transmission Gear Ratios:
1st ... 4.229:1
2nd ... 2.467:1
3rd ... 1.671:1
4th ... 1.233:1
5th ... 1.000:1
6th ... 0.794:1
Rev... 3.895:1
Final ... 3.909:1

Complete specs & info on both manual transmissions ...
GenesisForums.org - 5.BK M6VR12 MT

We will have to see how the factory transmission back holds up after some power has put it to the test.

#19 · (Edited)
That was for the first event(Long Beach) in which he was running a Nissan powerplant. Atlanta was the first time he ran the Lambda V6. This was confirmed in person by Eric(RMR) and Rhys in the ATL pit where we (Tufast & myself) saw the Hyundai motor in the car. Trust me on this, all you have to do is listen to any video recorded prior to the ATL event compared to after, and you can definately tell the difference.

I took this in the pit at Road Atlanta...

And welcome to the forums, please introduce yourself in the new member section if you get a chance. Thanks

#22 ·
+1, that Hyundai engine with the RMR exhaust makes that thing sounds like a stuck banshee. It is stupid loud & scary to hear in person. I wonder what it will sound like once they have the built lambda 3.8L installed.:jump:

#24 ·
Since the Genesis is such a new platform, I suspect that the Lambda wasn't going to be ready in time to start the season and the Nissan was a true engine with a good fit. The motor that is being run now was sort of a temporary motor until upgraded internals could be produced. I don't think they wanted to continue with the Nissan motor any longer then they had to. And the motor Tufast is referring to will be the final powerplant. This is what I have derived from bits and pieces of info that I have gained over the past few weeks/months. I believe all the motor swapping has to do with not wanting to miss any events due to engine trouble and therefore missing out on points oppurtuninties.

If Eric/RMR happens by, maybe he can fill in some of the details, but I believe this is about how it plays out.

#25 ·
^^^Correct, the Nissan motor was just temporary until they could set the car up with the Hyundai motor & bolt on turbo w/essentials. Since day one RMR has be working on a stroker motor built from a Hyundai 3.8 block with forged internals that is supposed to be nasty & take the place of the stock Hyundai motor currently in the car. And when I say stock, I mean the lower end, block, pistons, rods, etc. All the bolt ons are obviously not stock.

#26 ·
I knew about the Nissan motor, and the one they've got in the car right now. I thought this one in the car right now was going to be the final motor.

Wonder what kind of power they're going to pull out of the motor with fully built internals...

#27 · (Edited)
I haven't any idea but I'm sure it will show us what this motor is capable of. I mean, if they are getting just under 600tq and close to 500hp out of it now....who knows what it will do with forged internals. This being said, I think the main question is how much are they gonna try to get. The Nissan motor was running at close to 500tq and 600hp...does this mean that is where RMR wants to be or are they going to want more. It may just be that the new motor will be tuned similar to this, since the last two have been around these #'s, but they are simply wanting it to be more durable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.