Who else is gonna do this? - Page 3 - Hyundai Genesis Forum
Alcohol Methanol Water Injection Systems Discuss your favorite injection systems here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 68 Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 94
polaris is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty interested in this, I've read pretty good things about SNOW. I don't think I would have a problem finding methanol it would just be getting the tune down I guess.
polaris is offline  
post #22 of 68 Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tmwtmp100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 50
tmwtmp100 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, snow performance will be the way im going. Their stage 2 kit will do the job for my (hopefully) 400hp Genesis Coupe. I was reading on their website and the price of their Boost Juice ($30) is WAYYYY cheaper than fillin up with race gas ($13.50/gal).

"Point your gun in another direction!" - Coheed and Cambria
tmwtmp100 is offline  
post #23 of 68 Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Member
 
JR from AEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11
JR from AEM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboz1 View Post
For those of you in the know on this, how often do you need to refill. It would seem like that would get annoying after a while. I am pretty much ignorant to how much spray is used though. Thanks for any explanations.
The time between refills depends on 3 things, namely the size of your tank, the size of your jet and your right foot. We did some testing on our 30-3000 proportional water/meth kit and found the following:

Using the smallest jet (160 cc/min) we got 118 minutes of "full on" flow with our 5 gallon system before the low fluid light turns on. Another ~2 minutes before it starts sucking air.
Using the smallest jet (160 cc/min) we got 24 minutes of "full flow" with our 1 gallon system before the low fluid light turns on. Another minute or so before it starts sucking air.

The 160cc/min jet is just about right for the 2.0T Genesis and it is included with our kit as well as the two larger ones.

When you think about it, 24 minutes of significant boost is a long time. 2 hours on boost is an eternity.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon, 354 Hemi, In parts...
2001 Honda Civic, 1,479cc, 588 WHP, 195.818 MPH, R.I.P.
1930 Ford Roadster, 239 Merc Flathead V8, it will run someday...
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, 93HP, 15KW

Last edited by JR from AEM; 03-11-2009 at 02:09 PM.
JR from AEM is offline  
 
post #24 of 68 Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Poser!
 
Sabbasaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,997
Sabbasaun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR from AEM View Post
The time between refills depends on 3 things, namely the size of your tank, the size of your jet and your right foot. We did some testing on our 30-3000 proportional water/meth kit and found the following:

Using the smallest jet (160 cc/min) we got 118 minutes of "full on" flow with our 5 gallon system before the low fluid light turns on. Another ~2 minutes before it starts sucking air.
Using the smallest jet (160 cc/min) we got 24 minutes of "full flow" with our 1 gallon system before the low fluid light turns on. Another minute or so before it starts sucking air.

The 160cc/min jet is just about right for the 2.0T Genesis and it is included with our kit as well as the two larger ones.

When you think about it, 24 minutes of significant boost is a long time. 2 hours on boost is an eternity.

Let me know if you have any questions.
JR thanks for the info! and welcome to the forums... I'm anxiously awaiting all the goodies you guys will produce for these cars... and from the sounds of it so are the tuner guys.

Sabbasaun is offline  
post #25 of 68 Old 03-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Old Timer
 
hardmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 487
hardmack is on a distinguished road
I will never run a factory turbo car without a w/i system again... even running just water you will see so many benefits.

Living in arizona with our huge summer time temps and crappy atomospheric conditions w/i is the way to go.

Im friends with the guys from Devils Own... (Water injection : alcohol-methanol injection | DevilsOwn) but most kits are similar and I will promise you'll never regret it.
hardmack is offline  
post #26 of 68 Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 66
DVR Custom is on a distinguished road
JR you hit the nail on the coffin! I mean meth isn't something to throw at all on a stock motor. it's truely meant for you to run more agressive tunes safer on a daily basis. I see meth for us 2.0T guys after intercooler, turbo, downpipe, exhaust modifications are done. I ran meth on our stock spped 3 at the shop and didn't really help with anything.

My honest opinion is really don't think about meth untill you pile up your list of parts and add-ons. you can't truely do a agressive tune on our cars to begin with it seems with internals so running it off the bat is not smart. for someone who is going overboard like myself (vmount intercooler setup, DP, single exhaust, GT35r turbo upgrade, internals, top mount exhaust manifold.) than meth is your best friend to keep your systems alittle bit in check. just like Cryo frozen parts also. it's just a safer bet for more heavily modified motors with aggressive tunes to keep the agressive setup in the clear. but this is my 2 cents
DVR Custom is offline  
post #27 of 68 Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Member
 
JR from AEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11
JR from AEM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR Custom View Post
JR you hit the nail on the coffin! I mean meth isn't something to throw at all on a stock motor. it's truely meant for you to run more agressive tunes safer on a daily basis. I see meth for us 2.0T guys after intercooler, turbo, downpipe, exhaust modifications are done. I ran meth on our stock spped 3 at the shop and didn't really help with anything.

My honest opinion is really don't think about meth untill you pile up your list of parts and add-ons. you can't truely do a agressive tune on our cars to begin with it seems with internals so running it off the bat is not smart. for someone who is going overboard like myself (vmount intercooler setup, DP, single exhaust, GT35r turbo upgrade, internals, top mount exhaust manifold.) than meth is your best friend to keep your systems alittle bit in check. just like Cryo frozen parts also. it's just a safer bet for more heavily modified motors with aggressive tunes to keep the agressive setup in the clear. but this is my 2 cents
I would put water/meth on a 2.0T almost immediately if you are keeping the stock turbo and are going to raise the boost. The stock turbo falls out of it's peak efficiency pretty quickly if you run higher than stock boost so you start making lots of hot air even after the intercooler. To combat that you are going to have to retard the timing significantly (in addition to add fuel somehow). A water/meth kit will take care of those high temps allowing you to run more "normal" spark advance levels and make more power, not to mention remove the need for race gas.

I wouldn't put water/meth on a 3.8 unless you turbocharge it.

1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon, 354 Hemi, In parts...
2001 Honda Civic, 1,479cc, 588 WHP, 195.818 MPH, R.I.P.
1930 Ford Roadster, 239 Merc Flathead V8, it will run someday...
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, 93HP, 15KW
JR from AEM is offline  
post #28 of 68 Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 66
DVR Custom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR from AEM View Post
I would put water/meth on a 2.0T almost immediately if you are keeping the stock turbo and are going to raise the boost. The stock turbo falls out of it's peak efficiency pretty quickly if you run higher than stock boost so you start making lots of hot air even after the intercooler. To combat that you are going to have to retard the timing significantly (in addition to add fuel somehow). A water/meth kit will take care of those high temps allowing you to run more "normal" spark advance levels and make more power, not to mention remove the need for race gas.

I wouldn't put water/meth on a 3.8 unless you turbocharge it.
that's very true. I usually don't like putting more boost on stock turbos since I've worked a lot on the mazdaspeed 3 and they are known to have rediculous Peak boost issues from the factory jumping from the normal 16psi to 23 with no notice if a hard shift is caused.
DVR Custom is offline  
post #29 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: charleston sc.
Posts: 22
s14.5gonewide is on a distinguished road
i will be running a aem AEM - HD Water/Methanol Injection Kit with 5-Gallon Tank .. they do offer a 1 gallon setup..

meth setups do allot.. decrease intake temp charges, reduce egt, octane bump, the ability to run more timing.

from personal exepriance.. i have run a big meth jet on a non intercooled 3sgte with vp q16(race fuel) and the kit posted above. i ran vp m1meth. with the q16 and the m1 meth our octane rating were in the 130 range..

even without an intercooler we were seeing 120-130 intake temp charges while in spray.. very conservative timing still made 417whp... that was of the wasgate spring on break in boost..

figure u will go thu a one gallon meth tank in 2 full tanks of gas.

the only real drawback to runnig meth is if you are tuned for it and u run out and boost it you will be running more timing than your pumpgas will allow possibly causing detonation and motor faliure..
s14.5gonewide is offline  
post #30 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Moderator
 
Tufast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 10,780
Tufast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14.5gonewide View Post
the only real drawback to runnig meth is if you are tuned for it and u run out and boost it you will be running more timing than your pumpgas will allow possibly causing detonation and motor faliure..
& that's the only thing holding me back from saying yes I'm gonna do this, although I still may. If I do, it wil be with the 5gal tank, so I don't have to refill so often.

Sponsored By: Columbus Body Works / ARK Performance / Modern Automotive Performance / Forged Performance

Last edited by Tufast; 04-01-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
Tufast is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome