Who else is gonna do this? - Page 2 - Hyundai Genesis Forum
Alcohol Methanol Water Injection Systems Discuss your favorite injection systems here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 68 Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 AM
Member
 
GenesisFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 12
GenesisFan is on a distinguished road
I've been doing some research on these kits, seems like a win/win situation, just getting them setup might be a pain if you've never done it before but still not hard. Lots of info out there.
GenesisFan is offline  
post #12 of 68 Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Moderator
 
Tufast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 10,780
Tufast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisFan View Post
I've been doing some research on these kits, seems like a win/win situation, just getting them setup might be a pain if you've never done it before but still not hard. Lots of info out there.
Post anything you want for those of us that are lazy or haven't had the time to research yet, Thanks.

Sponsored By: Columbus Body Works / ARK Performance / Modern Automotive Performance / Forged Performance
Tufast is offline  
post #13 of 68 Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Mini Speeder
 
jiyooniexp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 212
jiyooniexp is on a distinguished road
so............. what is it?
hehe, completely ignorant of this topic.
enlighten me. anyone?

...and i'm back
jiyooniexp is offline  
 
post #14 of 68 Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 AM
Poser!
 
Sabbasaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,997
Sabbasaun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiyooniexp View Post
so............. what is it?
hehe, completely ignorant of this topic.
enlighten me. anyone?
Ahh youngling... I will try to enlighten you in a few sentences:

Water injection and Methanol injection actually accomplish two different things but they are often combined into one system. Methanol is basically a fuel that has a high octane level, it acts as a detonation inhibitor. Water acts as a cooling agent that lowers air intake temps. Both added together can allow you to run more boost in your car or be more aggressive in your tune.

For more info check out these places:

Water/Methanol Injection FAQ - NASIOC
Snow Performance: FAQ gasoline

Hope that helps a little
Sabbasaun is offline  
post #15 of 68 Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Veteran
 
Kevin DSM guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Paul, Mn
Posts: 292
Kevin DSM guy is on a distinguished road
One other effect the water injection does is that is slightly raises the static compression ratio since water doesn't compress. And to be a little more specific on the Methanol, it's actually alcohol that is made from wood. That means it burns cooler and faster than the gasoline. I personally would stay away from the water injection and go straight to alcohol, or methanol injection.
Kevin DSM guy is offline  
post #16 of 68 Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 162
BigSwede is on a distinguished road
No bandaids for me. If my aftermarket intercooler isn't enough to cool the boost then I won't be running that much.
BigSwede is offline  
post #17 of 68 Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Mini Speeder
 
jiyooniexp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 212
jiyooniexp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbasaun View Post
Ahh youngling... I will try to enlighten you in a few sentences:

Water injection and Methanol injection actually accomplish two different things but they are often combined into one system. Methanol is basically a fuel that has a high octane level, it acts as a detonation inhibitor. Water acts as a cooling agent that lowers air intake temps. Both added together can allow you to run more boost in your car or be more aggressive in your tune.

For more info check out these places:

Water/Methanol Injection FAQ - NASIOC
Snow Performance: FAQ gasoline

Hope that helps a little
ah.. so then whats the downside? i mean if it has all these cool effects, why doesnt everyone do it?

...and i'm back
jiyooniexp is offline  
post #18 of 68 Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Poser!
 
Sabbasaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,997
Sabbasaun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiyooniexp View Post
ah.. so then whats the downside? i mean if it has all these cool effects, why doesnt everyone do it?
Just off of the top of my head:

It's not needed all the time and you have to "tune" for the methanol, especially for the more modifed engines running high boost. You also have to occiasionally fill up a tank and not everyone has methanol available to them. Some get get around this by using windshield wiper fluid as some brands can have as much as ~45% methanol. Another downside is if there is no failsafe when you run out of meth/water than you can seriously damage your engine..
Sabbasaun is offline  
post #19 of 68 Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Mini Speeder
 
jiyooniexp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 212
jiyooniexp is on a distinguished road
thanks for the enlightenment.
in return, i shall enlighten others with news of the new hyundai equus. (in the appropriate thread)

enjoy!

...and i'm back
jiyooniexp is offline  
post #20 of 68 Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Poser!
 
Sabbasaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,997
Sabbasaun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiyooniexp View Post
thanks for the enlightenment.
in return, i shall enlighten others with news of the new hyundai equus. (in the appropriate thread)

enjoy!
Cool! Your kindness is appreciated.. lol
Sabbasaun is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome